Eligibility Requirements for RGI Applicants
In order to be eligible for geared-to-income housing, applicants and tenant/members must meet the following criteria:
- At least one member of the home is 16 years of age or older.
- The household is able to take care of themselves (with or without the help of a support service agency).
- All household members are legal residents of Canada. This includes Canadian citizenship, landed immigrant or Permanent resident status or Refugee claimants. People who are under an enforceable deportation, departure or exclusion order are not eligible.
- No member of the household owes money to another social housing provider anywhere in the province.
- No member of the household has been convicted within the last 24 months of an offence under section 55 of the Housing Services Act or section 85 of the social Housing Reform Act (regarding knowingly obtaining or aiding or abetting a member of a household to obtain or receive rent-geared-to-income assistance for which the household is not eligible).
- No member of the household has been convicted within the last 24 months of a crime under the Criminal Code (Canada) in relation to the receipt of rent-geared-to-income assistance.
If Peel Region or the housing provider determines that a household is eligible to receive income from one of the programs listed below, the household will be required to apply for and make reasonable efforts to receive income from one of these programs before receiving rent-geared-to-income assistance.
If an accessible unit (modified for wheelchair) is required, documentation must be provided. If a member of the household wishes to live in a housing community that has a supportive housing service, the applicant must provide information to confirm his/her eligibility for the support services provided at that location.
- Basic financial assistance under the Ontario Works Program.
- Support under the Divorce Act (Canada) Family Law Act or the Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Orders Act.
- Employment insurance benefits.
- Old Age Security (OAS), Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) and Ontario Guaranteed Annual Income System (GAINS) available to persons aged 65 and older.
- Support and maintenance for sponsored immigrants under the Immigration Act (Canada).